THY KISS OF A DIVINE NATURE
The Contemporary Perotin
A Film by Uli Aumüller
With The Hilliard Ensemble
Picture format: NTSC 16:9
Sound format: PCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1
Language in Film: German
Menu Languages: English, German, Japanese
Subtitle Languages: English, French, Spanish, Japanese
Region code: 0 (worldwide)
Running time: 380 mins
No. of DVDs: 2 (DVD 9) + 2 Audio CDs
- As far as is known the works of "Perotinus", whether or not he actually existed, are the first four-part compositions and therefore the first notations to accommodate the improvised Gregorian chant into a more formal system.
- This outstanding film by Uli Aumüller revolves around the inscrutability of the French master. On the one hand you see an elaborate setting of pictures reflecting the opulent music presented by the Hilliard Ensemble. On the other hand you see four Perotin experts in a passionate argument, trying to point out their approach to the medieval times and their attempt to reveal the mystery of one of the most important figures in music history.
"The Hilliard allow their performances to unfold at their own, sometimes leisurely, pace; the singers' tone is wonderfully even and the dissonances are allowed to pass by naturally without special emphasis." The Guardian on a performance of Machaut
- Add. Film: "The Perotin Symposium: Who was Perotinus Magnus – Myth or History?"
- Radio Play: "Perotinus Magnus – The vision of a film project"
- Making of
- 5.1 Soundtrack on DVD (incl. stills)
- Stereo soundtrack on additional CD: Beata es virgo; Descendit de coelis; Dixit angelus; Gaude Maria; Laude iocunda; Descendet de coelis & Tamquam sponsus; Alleluia; Beata Viscera; Viderunt omnes; Dum Sigillum; Benedicamus domino