SALZBURG RECITAL 1989
with a special Spanish and Italian repertoire
including Scarlatti, Stradella, de Falla,
Martin Katz, piano
Recorded live at the Großes Festspielhaus Salzburg, 15 August 1989
Picture format: NTSC 4:3
Sound format: PCM Stereo
Region code: 0
Menu Language: German, French, English, Spanish
Running time: 108 mins
No. of DVDs: 1 (DVD 9)
- Just one year after his highly acclaimed comeback at the Vienna State Opera, José Carreras returned to the same opera stage where he made his brilliant debut as a thirty-year-old: the Großes Festspielhaus in Salzburg.
- This same recital was staged a second time and was also relayed live to a giant screen at the city's Domplatz – a clear indication of the enormous affection in which he was held by the Salzburg public.
- The Spanish tenor repays such lively interest with an exclusive programme that includes no less than 23 songs and five encores.
- Whereas the first half of the evening was divided into three parts – works from the Italian baroque, French mélodies by Jules Massenet and canzoni by Francesco Paolo Tosti – the second half consisted entirely of Spanish works, focusing principally on the songs of Manuel de Falla.
- And if not the final encore of the evening, certainly its crowning moment is the song we have come to associate with José Carreras as his vocal trademark – 'Granada' by Agustìn Lara.