^ Back to Top
^ Back to Discography
Classical Music Home

Welcome to Naxos Records

Email Password  
Not a subscriber yet?  
Keyword Search


Jesus College Chapel is highly distinctive among the Chapels of Oxford and Cambridge. It was originally the ancient church of the Benedictine nunnery of St Radegund, which was begun in about 1140 and completed in the first half of the thirteenth century. The nunnery was dissolved in 1496, when the then Bishop of Ely, John Alcock, founded the College in its stead. Today, the Chapel contains many fine additions by Pugin, including the beautifully decorated ‘Sutton’ organ, fine painted ceilings designed by William Morris, and stained glass windows from designs by Edward Burne- Jones. Most recently and as a result of a generous benefaction from Mr James Hudleston, a brand new organ was installed in 2007, built by Orgelbau Kuhn of Switzerland.

Unusually within the Cambridge system, Jesus College has two choirs. The Choir of Men and Boys was formed in 1847, and the College Choir was formed in 1982, following the admission of women to the College. Highly regarded among the Cambridge choirs, engagements have included broadcasts for BBC Radio Three, collaborations with the Britten Sinfonia, and tours to France, Germany, Estonia, Ireland and Denmark.

More details may be found through the College’s website: www.jesus.cam.ac.uk

Albums featuring this artist are available for download from ClassicsOnline.com
Role: Choir 
Album Title  Catalogue No  Work Category 
WOOD, C.: St. Mark Passion Naxos
Choral - Sacred

 View Albums

Naxos Records, a member of the Naxos Music Group