MOSCOW RADIO TCHAIKOVSKY SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
Internationally recognised as one of Russia’s most prestigious and versatile orchestras, the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra was founded in 1930. Until the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the orchestra was the official orchestra of the Soviet Radio Network. Alexander Orlov became the orchestra’s first director in 1930 and is credited with developing a wide-ranging repertoire. From 1937 to the present a series of outstanding directors have contributed to the orchestra’s distinctive artistic style and personality: Nikolay Glovanov (1937-1953), Alexander Gauk (1953 – 1961), and Gennady Rozhdestvensky (1961-1974), succeeded in 1974 by Vladimir Fedoseyev, who has played an important rôle in establishing the national and international reputation of the orchestra. Over the years there has been collaboration with a distinguished group of composers, guest conductors and soloists, who have played an integral rôle in the development of the orchestra. In 1993 the orchestra was renamed by the decree of the Russian Ministry of Culture and became the Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra of Moscow Radio. There have, over the years, been important premières of works by the most prominent Russian composers, and engagements abroad have included appearances in London, Tokyo, Vienna, Paris, Milan, Munich, Frankfurt, Geneva, Stockholm, Rome, Oslo, Prague and many other major cities. There has been frequent participation in numerous international festivals and an extensive list of recordings.