^ Back to Top
^ Back to Discography
Classical Music Home

Welcome to Naxos Records

Email Password  
Not a subscriber yet?  
Keyword Search


The Philharmonic Piano Quartet made its public début at a Lewisohn Stadium concert in New York in June 1949. Four pianists playing together must have been quite a spectacle. The reviewer, writing for the New York Times, stated that “the four young pianists brought freshness to their difficult medium, as well as precision, agility and some fairly successful attempts to obtain color contrasts”. The four pianists were Ada Kopetz, Bertha Melnik, Max Walmer and John G. Scales. Two months before their first public performance, the Philharmonic Piano Quartet recorded in the 30th Street Studio of Columbia Records a very effective paraphrase on “Die Fledermaus” Waltzes, Op. 56, specially written for them by Moritz von Bomhard (1908-1996). 

Albums featuring this artist are available for download from ClassicsOnline.com
Role: Ensemble 
Album Title  Catalogue No  Work Category 

 View Albums

Naxos Records, a member of the Naxos Music Group