The "Stuttgarter Hymnus-Chorknaben" look back on a history of nine decades. Paul von Lechier (1849–1925), one of the most striking Swabian
entrepreneur personalities of his time, founded the choir on his own private initiative in 1900, inspired by the famous boys’ choirs of Leipzig and Dresden
and the Berlin ‘Kurrende’, all of which he had encountered during his travels. The new choir soon enjoyed an excellent reputation in Stuttgart community life and musical circles and, after its refoundation in 1946 by Professor Gerhard Wilhelm, its long-standing director, became internationally recognized. Eckbard
Weyand, musical director of the choir since 1987, carries on this tradition. In 1971 after various provisional arrangements, the choir was given its own
house in Stuttgart. This building fulfills all requirements necessary for the choral work which is carried out here with much idealism. The 8- to 14-year-old
boys and the young men, who mostly belonged to the choir as boys, often have to accept the burden of long journeys to choir practice or to performances after
their school work is done. The ‘Stuttgarter Hymnus-Chorknaben’ usually performs in churches and concert halls in Baden-Württemberg, but concert tours to Other Parts of Germany and abroad take place regularly. In recent years the choir has performed with great success in Israel, France, Poland, Switzerland and
in the Soviet Union (Riga).
The whole spectrum of European sacred music including motets, cantatas and oratorios is represented in the choir’s repertoire. In spite of frequent concert activities it has always remained a matter of course for the ‘Stuttgarter Hymnus-Chorknaben’ to sing regularly at church services to the propagation and glory of God.