It's a small world, they say, and the Global Village is never more compactly defined than by the Olympic Village, which brings athletes together every four years for the Olympic Games. The 2016 gathering of sports hopefuls takes place in Brazil, from August 5 to 21. Nations hoping to reflect their collective pride in the glint of podium medals will also be nursing the dream of expressing it with both heart and voice, at the moment when the gold medalist's national anthem is performed.
It's not just the Olympic spirit that unites, but the fact that every nation – rich or poor – can boast its own anthem. There may be countries participating in the Olympic Games with which you are unfamiliar. With the aid of Naxos' comprehensive compendium of the world's national anthems, however, spectators can also become listeners, adding to their appreciation of the event by getting to know any or every country's national song. All at the click of a mouse. You'll be surprised at the gems that are waiting to be discovered, and possibly compiled into family favourites. Welcome to the Naxos boxed set of THE COMPLETE NATIONAL ANTHEMS OF THE WORLD.
The Complete National Anthems of the World, 2013 edition
Arr. Peter Breiner
Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra,
Slovak State Philharmonic Košice, Peter Breiner
‘A mandatory purchase for the nationality/sovereignty anorak. Indispensable for bandmasters, state musicians, Mastermind contestants, Tovey experts and organisers of diplomatic events and international visits. Also any self-respecting major or regional library will want to have this on the shelves.’
– MusicWeb International on the 2005 edition.
- Over 400 anthems – the most complete and updated collection of National Anthems available.
- Recorded with a full symphony orchestra, arranged and conducted by Peter Breiner, one of the world’s most recorded musicians, and digitally recorded in brilliant sound.
- Expertly researched by anthem specialists.
- Anthems from the largest country (Russia) to the smallest (Vatican City) are included, as well as those of regions within countries e.g. Flanders, the Falkland Islands, and Mallorca.
- Also included are anthems of the African Union, European Union and United Nations, as well as regional and cultural groups’ anthems, in addition to the Olympic movement and the Paralympic Movement.
- Original and shortened versions included for selected countries.
- Recordings from previous editions were used at the 2004 Athens Olympics and Youth Olympics, and 100 arrangements were used at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- The Olympic versions included in this set are shortened versions approved by the National Olympic Committees of each country.
- CD Booklet includes information and short introductions of each anthem, along with national flags and emblems for instant identification.
Olympic special: $89.99 – $48.99
About the Artists
is one of the world’s most recorded musicians, with over 180 CDs released. His arrangements of national anthems of all participating countries were used during the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004 and illegally in Beijing in 2008. He recorded his own arrangements of the anthems of the participating countries of the Rugby World Cup 2011.
The Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra
was established in 1929 as the first professional symphony orchestra in Slovakia. The orchestra is currently led by conductor Mario Košik. It has made a large number of recordings for labels such as Opus, Supraphon, Naxos, Marco Polo and others. The orchestra has collaborated with renowned conductors such as Ľudovít Rajter, Ondrej Lenárd, Róbert Stankovský, Juraj Valčuha, Andrew Mogrelia, David Porcelijn, Vladimir Spivakov, Yordan Kamdzhalov and also with distinguished soloists.
The Slovak State Philharmonic, Košice
was established in 1968 as the second professional symphony orchestra in Slovakia. It is based in Košice, the capital of Eastern Slovakia, a city with a population of over a quarter of a million. The nearly 90-strong ensemble includes professional musicians who are graduates of conservatories and famous music academies. Great success has been achieved with concerts in many European countries and also in leading cities in Asia and America.