The Janáček Quartet was founded in 1947 by students of the Brno Conservatoire. They brought Janáček’s rendering to an unprecedented perfection, giving them the right to use the name of the famous Brno composer. The quartet, consisting of Jiří Trávníček, Adolf Sýkora, Jiří Kratochvíl and Karel Krafka started an intense program of foreign tours in 1955, and soon won world-renown. The critics wrote glowing reviews on their concerts and they were invited to the most important international music festivals. They have also made a number of superb records with the world’s foremost companies.
The fifty years that have elapsed since the foundation of the Janáček Quartet have made it necessary to introduce some personal changes. The working creed of the group however has remained unchanged; they concentrate on expressive performance based on discipline and perfection. The Quartet naturally builds upon the best traditions of Czech and Moravian music and its members are frequent quests in foreign concert halls.