ST ALBANS CATHEDRAL CHOIR, LAY CLERKS
St Albans Cathedral Choir was re-founded in 1877 when the abbey church became a cathedral. Unlike many English cathedral choirs, there is no choir school; the boys rehearse before and after going to the normal schools in the area and sing a service of Choral Evensong on three weekdays and three services with the ‘lay clerks’ (men) each weekend. The lay clerks are a dedicated group of musicians who, in the main, earn their living outside the music profession. Under Andrew Lucas’s direction they have made nine international concert tours, several broadcasts on radio and television and five commercial recordings; previous releases for Naxos are music by Rutter (8.572653 and 8.573394) and Mozart (8.573092).