ROUSSE PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
The Rousse Philharmonic Orchestra was established in 1919 as a successor to the traditions of symphonic activity in Rousse after the Liberation. The premiere concert of The Rousse City Philharmonic took place on 2 March 1919. In the first 30 years of its existence, the orchestra took various guises as and when it could fund and participate in different projects, such as the ‘Lyra’ Company and the ‘Opera Union’. In 1947 the orchestra became a state company, and on 4 January 1948 gave its first concert as the State Philharmonic – Rousse under the baton of Konstantin Iliev.
A highlight in the orchestra’s history is its collaboration with Shostakovich, and the composer’s premiere of his Piano Concerto No. 2 in 1958. The orchestra is the initiator and host of the March Music Days and Winter Musical Evenings festivals. The orchestra has undertaken several international tours, and its discography includes recordings in the Golden Fund of the Bulgarian National Radio, and Television and Radio Berlin.
Photo: Gergana Georgieva